Offroad Design Heavy Duty Tie Rod
As your truck moves to larger tires and more difficult terrain, the stock steering linkage takes a real beating. So we offer heavy duty tie rods to keep you steering straight.
Our tie rods come cut to the correct length and threaded to accept ends. NO CUTTING OR WELDING REQUIRED!
We stock them for many styles of straight axle applications. Even first generation Dodges (1993 and older with a Dana 60 axle)!
All tie rods come in 7/8"-18 Thread. We have these available with either the OE ends 2233L and 2234R or our ORD Heavy Duty Tie rod ends!
- 1-1/4" x .250" wall - A good upgrade over stock for a little cheaper price.
- 1-1/2" x .375" wall - Heavier wall thickness and larger diameter make this a considerable step up over the stock tierod. Not unbendable but definitely tough and won't leave you broken for sure.
- 1-1/2" x 7075 Solid Bar Aluminum - Compared to 1.5"x.250 tube these aluminum solid bar tie rods are stronger and can flex farther before bending. So perfect for bashing on rocks! Also 11 lbs lighter than the DOM equivalent.
Our tie rods do not have built-in steering stabilizer mounts. We do offer several options for mounting a stabilizer as well as some great stabilizer options:
- '76 and earlier GM/Chevy Dana 44 axles may have leaf spring clearance issues at lower lift heights. The factory tie rod ends have drop built into them and our tie rod ends do not. Check clearance, especially on larger OD tie rods.
- '85-91 Ford Dana 60 axles will need to be reamed for the larger GM 1-Ton Tie Rod End Taper.
- Ford Dana 60 axles may have diff cover clearance issues.
Tie Rod Ends
These tie rods are designed to work with our HD Tie rod ends, our ends are best in the business
They are a metal-on-metal design with a preload spring on the bearing race (sort of like the upper kingpin on a Dana 60), that helps keep the joint tight even as the parts wear. Many joints are built with a plastic race that don't hold up well, see the picture below. Additionally, the plastic ends don't appear to have a heat treat, our band saw flew right through them. Notice the appearance of the metal-on-metal end (at right), it was very difficult to cut due to the heat treat.
Also our ends come standard with our long lasting Gray Kevlar boots!